Los Angeles Federal Drug Crime Attorney
Facing Drug Charges? Contact Shemaria Law Offices.
Facing accusations of a drug crime in a California or federal court can be difficult. Along with the possible punishments and penalties that come with conviction, you could suffer damage to your personal and professional life.
Federal drug crimes can include:
- Possession with the intent to distribute
- Transporting controlled substances
- Manufacturing controlled substances
- Distributing controlled substances
- Conspiring with one or more people to commit any drug crime
How the Prosecution Gets to Guilty
As with any crime, the prosecutor must prove the charges against you beyond a reasonable doubt. That means that when you walk into the courtroom on a federal drug charge, the jury starts with the assumption that you are innocent. The prosecution then must show that you:
- Knowingly possessed a controlled substance, and
- You intended to distribute the substance to another person or bring it into the country from outside the United States.
If, on the other hand, you are charged with a conspiracy drug crime, the prosecution has to prove (beyond a reasonable doubt) that you:
- Made an agreement with at least one other person to make, distribute, or import a controlled substance, and
- That you joined in the agreement knowing and intending to help accomplish the specified purpose.
Is DMT legal in Los Angeles?
DMT in California is still illegal. DMT just like mushrooms containing psilocybin that’s derived from plants or fungi are still illegal. Psychedelic mushrooms and other natural hallucinogens are also still illegal under California state law and federal law.
Are Drugs Legal in Los Angeles?
In both the federal government and in California, nearly all possession and cultivation of marijuana is still illegal. A person that posses only one ounce or less of marijuana is still a minor offense. Possessing marijuana with the intent to sell is a felony, no matter the amount. Under Proposition 215, people who are under the care of a doctor and possess a prescription for marijuana, may own and cultivate marijuana for their personal consumption.
Establishing a Strong Defense
Starting early on your drug crimes defense is critical. Even when the preliminary investigations are going on, a knowledgeable Los Angeles drug crime attorney can start negotiating with the prosecution and working with experts so you have the most options available to fight the charges against you.
A Skilled Lawyer Can Help
Over 50 Years of Legal Experience
Certified Criminal Law Specialist by the Board of Legal Specialization, California State Bar
Handled State & Federal Cases in 24 Individual States
Tried Over 275 Cases to a Jury
First & Youngest Attorney Ever Appointed to a Death Penalty Case
Member of the L.A. County Bar Association