Los Angeles Federal Drug Trafficking Lawyer
Put a Criminal Law Specialist with 50 Years of Experience in Your Corner
Drug trafficking does not have to be an elaborate scheme to be considered a crime, as you can get in trouble for simply moving a bag of cocaine from your pocket to your car. However large or small, drug trafficking crimes are among the highest criminal priorities for federal agencies such as the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP).
As such, you could face state and federal consequences for your alleged illicit trades involving controlled substances. To best combat your accusations, enlist the representation of our experienced Los Angeles drug trafficking defense lawyer at Shemaria Law Offices. As a certified criminal law expert who has handled hundreds of jury trials in state and federal courts across the nation, Los Angeles federal drug trafficking attorney Joseph Shemaria has what it takes to help you overcome your drug trafficking charges in Los Angeles.
What is Punishment for Drug Trafficking?
There are minimum and maximum penalties for drug trafficking crimes under the federal sentencing guidelines. These largely depend on factors such as what type of drug was trafficked and in what amount. The court can also consider other factors such as where the trafficking occurred, if you have had prior criminal convictions, if anyone was injured in the process along with other factors to determine the punishment for drug trafficking.
What Is Drug Trafficking?
Drug trafficking is closely related to drug distribution and attempted sales. You may incur a drug trafficking charge if you are found to have aided, abetted or conspired with anyone to traffic controlled substances. Punishments for drug trafficking are based on several factors, including but not limited to the:
- Drug type
- Amount of the illegal substance
- Geographical area of distribution
- Target market, particularly if minors were targeted
CA Health & Safety code 11352 defines drug trafficking as every person who transports, imports into CA, sells, furnishes, administers, or gives away or offers to do such actions. The penalty for this offense is three, four, or five years in prison. However, any person who transports any controlled substances within CA from one county to another noncontiguous county shall be punished by imprisonment for three, six or nine years.
Contrary to popular belief, you can get in serious trouble for trafficking marijuana. If you transport, sell, furnish, administer, or give away cannabis or offer to do such actions, you may be punished as follows:
- People who are 18 or over will be sentenced to county jail for up to six months and/or by a fine of up to $500
People who are 18 or over will suffer imprisonment for two, three or four
years if the following circumstances apply:
- The person has one or more, or two or more prior convictions for certain offenses
- The offense involved the knowing sale, attempted sale or the knowing offer to sell, furnish, administer or give away cannabis to a person under the age of 18 years
- The offense involved the import, offer to import or attempted import into this state or the transport for sale, offer to transport for sale, or attempted transport for sale out of this state, of more than 28.5 grams of cannabis or more than four grams of concentrated cannabis
What Are Federal Drug Trafficking Laws?
Under 21 US Code §841, it is illegal to knowingly or intentionally:
- manufacture, distribute, or dispense, or possess with intent to manufacture, distribute, or dispense, a controlled substance; or
- create, distribute, or dispense, or possess with intent to distribute or dispense, a counterfeit substance.
Laws that control drug trafficking can implicate anyone from a single individual to an organized body of illegal drug activity. If you are convicted of federal drug trafficking, you may face 10 years to life or 20 years to life in prison and be fined $10,000,000 as an individual or $50,000,000 if you were a part of an organized group.
Accused of Drug Trafficking in Los Angeles?
Few things in life are more terrifying than a criminal accusation, especially one that involves drug trafficking. This is because the War on Drugs is alive and well in the United States, and prosecutors will use that to their advantage by pursuing the maximum penalties afforded under the law.
Depending on the details of your unique case, our Los Angeles drug trafficking defense lawyer can employ effective defense strategies that can help get your charges reduced or dropped altogether. They include:
- Unlawful search and seizure
- Drugs were planted and you were framed
- Faulty crime lab analysis
- The drugs did not belong to you
- Lost or tampered evidence
- Lack of knowledge and/or intent
Over 50 Years of Legal Experience
Certified Criminal Law Specialist by the Board of Legal Specialization, California State Bar
Handled State & Federal Cases in 24 Individual States
Tried Over 275 Cases to a Jury
First & Youngest Attorney Ever Appointed to a Death Penalty Case
Member of the L.A. County Bar Association