Los Angeles Federal Murder Defense Attorney
Facing Homicide Charges in Los Angeles? Let Us Fight for You.
Murder is the unlawful killing of a human being, or a fetus, with malice aforethought under CA Penal Code Section 187. As such, murder ranks among the highest criminal priorities for state and federal prosecutors, which is why you must depend on an attorney who has trial experience at the state and federal level.
Our Los Angeles murder defense lawyer at Shemaria Law Offices has handled over 275 jury trials in both state and federal courts across 24 states. As a certified criminal law specialist by the Board of Legal Specialization, California State Bar, attorney Joseph Shemaria delivers the high-caliber expertise needed to help you combat your murder accusations.
Don’t wait around to see what happens next. We know that the prosecution is already working to put you behind bars, therefore you should contact us at (310) 953-4004 to learn how we can help put your charges behind you.
Types of CA Murder Charges
All murder that is committed by the following means is first-degree murder punishable by 25 years to life in prison without the possibility of parole:
- a destructive device or explosive
- a weapon of mass destruction
- knowing use of ammunition designed primarily to penetrate metal or armor
- lying in wait
- any other kind of willful, deliberate, and premeditated killing,
- murder that is committed in the perpetration of, or attempt to perpetrate, arson, rape, carjacking, robbery, burglary, mayhem, kidnapping, train wrecking or any act punishable
- murder that is perpetrated by discharging a firearm from a motor vehicle, intentionally at another person outside of the vehicle with the intent to inflict death
All other kinds of murders are of the second degree and punishable by 15 years to life in prison.
Another type of homicide offense is manslaughter. Manslaughter is the unlawful killing of a human being without malice. Unlike murder, manslaughter is committed unintentionally. The three types of manslaughter are as follows:
- Voluntary: Committed upon a sudden quarrel or heat of passion and punishable by imprisonment for 3, 6 or 11 years.
- Involuntary: Committed in the commission of an unlawful act, not amounting to a felony; or in the commission of a lawful act which might produce death, in an unlawful manner, or without due caution and circumspection. This crime is punishable by imprisonment for two, three or four years.
Vehicular: This offense is punishable either by imprisonment in the county jail for
not more than one year or by imprisonment in the state prison for two,
four, six or ten years. Elements of this offense include:
- driving a vehicle in the commission of an unlawful act, not amounting to a felony and with gross negligence
- driving a vehicle in the commission of a lawful act which might produce death, in an unlawful manner and with gross negligence
- driving a vehicle in the commission of an unlawful act, not amounting to a felony, but without gross negligence; or driving a vehicle in the commission of a lawful act which might produce death, in an unlawful manner but without gross negligence
- vehicular collision or vehicular accident was knowingly caused for financial gain and approximately resulted in the death of any person
Possible Defenses to Los Angeles Murder Charges
Over the past five decades, our Los Angeles murder defense lawyer has offered each client a personalized defense strategy unique to their individual case. Since no two murder cases are the same, neither should your defense; this principle sets Shemaria Law Offices apart from the rest.
Depending on the details, type and degree of your homicide charges, we can build a powerful case that incorporates the following defenses:
- Self-defense or defense of property
- Defense of others
- Mistaken identity
We encourage you to speak with our Los Angeles murder defense lawyer to discuss your case in further detail. Homicide cases are serious and are best overcome with the help of a criminal law specialist. As such, you can count on Shemaria Law Offices to stand by your side no matter what challenges arise.
Over 50 Years of Legal Experience
Certified Criminal Law Specialist by the Board of Legal Specialization, California State Bar
Handled State & Federal Cases in 24 Individual States
Tried Over 275 Cases to a Jury
First & Youngest Attorney Ever Appointed to a Death Penalty Case
Member of the L.A. County Bar Association